Selasa, 18 Februari 2014

The Star eCentral: Movie Reviews


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star eCentral: Movie Reviews


Colin Farrell's film flops, again

Posted: 17 Feb 2014 09:40 PM PST

The Irish actor, whose latest film is Winter's Tale, seems to be on a losing streak at the box office.

With Winter's Tale misfiring over the weekend, leading man Colin Farrell has suffered another box-office bummer.

The romantic fantasy from Warner Bros is going to take in less than US$10mil (RM32mil) over the four-day Presidents Day weekend.

That makes three movies in a row in which Farrell has played the leading man that have tanked.

Of course, it's not all on Farrell. Winter's Tale, written and directed by Akiva Goldsman, was savaged by the critics (14% on Rotten Tomatoes) and the complex time-travel tale had to be tricky to market.

But last March's FilmDistrict thriller Dead Man Down was dead on arrival, opening to US$5.3mil (RM16.96mil) and topping out at US$10mil domestically at the box office.

And before that, Seven Psychopaths debuted with US$4.1mil (RM13.12mil) and wound up with US$15mil (RM48mil) domestically for CBS Films in 2012.

There was the disappointing Total Recall remake that year as well, and the 2011 horror dud Fright Night before that. The films in which he's had a supporting role have done better.

Saving Mr Banks, in which he plays the father of Emma Thompson's Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers character, has done pretty well at the box office. It's taken in US$82mill (RM262.4mil) domestically and another US$17mil (RM54.4mil) overseas since opening in December for Disney.

The 37-year-old Irish actor's biggest box-office score came in 2011's Horrible Bosses, in which he had a secondary role as one of the title characters. That comedy featuring Jason Bateman and Jennifer Aniston brought in US$117mil (RM374.4mil) domestically and another US$92mil (RM294.4mil) from overseas.

His breakout role, a semi-comic turn in 2008's In Bruges that earned him a Golden Globe, was an indie hit with US$33mil (RM105.6mil) worldwide.

Farrell's box office mettle will next be put to the test in Miss Julie, an historical romance directed by Liv Ullman, in which he'll star with Jessica Chastain. It's due this year, but doesn't have a release date yet. He's also in Solace, a thriller in which he'll star with Abbie Cornish and Anthony Hopkins, which is in post-production.

And he recently agreed to co-star with Rachel Weisz in the dystopian love story The Lobster. — Reuters

Never too late for a nom

Posted: 17 Feb 2014 08:00 AM PST

June Squibb on her first Oscar nomination at age 84.

June Squibb earned her first Oscar nomination at age 84. If she were to win in the best supporting actress category for her role in Nebraska, she would make Academy Award history by becoming the oldest winner in any of the acting categories. The Times reached Squibb at home for her reaction to the nomination.

How are you?

Good. Very good, in fact. My son and I watched the nominations together at my house in Sherman Oaks. When he heard, he was so dear. He got up and came over and held me – and we were both almost crying and it was lovely. He's doing all of the events with me. He's a filmmaker himself so there are a lot of directors that he admires and respects tremendously and likes to see at events.

How have the events been?

I thought the Golden Globes were a lot of fun. My dress for one – I loved it. I was just so comfortable in it. I just felt really good.

Have you ever been to the Oscars before?

I've just watched it on the television.

What do you think it will be like?

I have no idea, other than the fact that the red carpets are pretty much all the same. I'll probably be talking to a lot of the same people. Now what's nice is I've met some of them two or three times or more. The TV people you sort of know now.

Have you been getting lots of calls from people eager to work with you?

Yes, I have gotten a few ... I think something is happening now ... I don't even know the particulars – it's a television show. I had also shot three shows after Cannes – The Millers, Getting On and Girls.

What does it feel like to be getting this much recognition at this stage of your career?

I've worked my whole life – years on stage – and a lot of wonderful things have happened, but it's fun to have it in film. I've been doing it since the early 90s, and it's really kind of fun to do.

What performances have you enjoyed this year?

I haven't been able to see all that much. I did see Matthew McConaughey's Mud, and I don't think he's up for that, but I think he's doing such great work now. I did see August: Osage County, and there's some wonderful people in that. I'm friends with Margo Martindale. We were neighbours in New York for 30 years.

Why do you think it was such a strong year for film?

I think it's probably one of the richest years we've had in film. There were just extraordinary films this year and we simply don't have that kind of thing every year. I feel blessed because there's so many women who could have been put in my category, and I think we all feel that way a little bit this year.

Did you have a backup career if acting didn't work out?

My backup career was sort of modelling. I did a lot of the print modelling and what they used to call industrial modelling at the big conventions. I was the Ortho girl for bug spray for gardening and Santa Claus' helper. Luckily, I didn't have to do it very often.

Is there another movie role you would have liked to have had this year?

Of course, things like Philomena – I'm sure that's a wonderful film, and she's such a wonderful actress (Judi Dench). Some years, there are roles for older women and some years, there aren't. I was never a leading lady or an ingenue. I was always a character actress. I think you're better off in that respect as you get older. I've had wonderful roles. I've done leading roles, but never the idea of a straight role that isn't somehow a character role. – Los Angeles Times/McClatchy-Tribune Information Services

Ron Howard to direct The Jungle Book

Posted: 17 Feb 2014 09:35 PM PST

The director-producer is set to work on the project for Warner Bros.

Not one but two Jungle Book remakes are on the way, with Ron Howard now signed on to direct Warner Bros' live-action version of the Rudyard Kipling classic.

Well known for directing Rush, J. Edgar, Frost/Nixon and A Beautiful Mind, Howard also helmed the first two Dan Brown movies, with Inferno due 2015.

His schedule means that the Warner Bros' Jungle Book will avoid any immediate clash with Disney's fourth pop at the classic children's story, observes The Hollywood Reporter.

After its 1967 animation, re-released several times over the years, Disney followed up with two more live-action interpretations in the 1990s.

Several high-profile actors starred in 1994 flick Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, including Jason Scott Lee (Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story), Carey Elwes (The Princess Bride), Lena Headey (The Remains Of The Day, Game Of Thrones) and John Cleese (Monty Python).

Then in 1998, Brandon Baker, Eartha Kitt, Clancy Brown and Brian Doyle-Murray appeared in The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Story.

While Jon Favreau's take on The Jungle Book for Disney is expected in October of 2015, Howard's Inferno is due December of the same year.

The Happy Days star is also currently working on maritime tragedy In The Heart Of The Sea, with cross-border contraband thriller Mena lined up, and Jay-Z documentary Made In America ripe for cinematic distribution this summer.

Previously attached to Warner Bros' Jungle Book was Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, known for his work on Amores Perros, 21 Grams and the upcoming Birdman. — AFP Relaxnews

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved