Sabtu, 11 Januari 2014

The Star Online: Nation

Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Nation

Woman ordered to enter defence on amok charges

Posted: 10 Jan 2014 08:00 AM PST

PUTRAJAYA: Muhdalena Ahmad, the woman who allegedly ran amok with a sword-wielding man outside the Prime Minister's Department, has been ordered to enter her defence over the incident.

Sessions Court judge Mohamed Kamil Nizam ruled yesterday that the prosecution had established a prima facie case in the four charges against Muhdalena.

Muhdalena, 28, is accused of committing criminal intimidation by threatening to cause grievous hurt to a policeman, possession of a sword, and two additional charges under the Protected Areas and Protected Places Act 1959.

"Korporal Ridzuan (Megat Ahmad)'s testimony helped form my decision that she threatened to harm the officers," said Mohamed Kamil. Kpl Ridzuan, a first responder at the scene, testified that Muhda­lena's partner Khalil Afendi Abd Hamid had shouted: "Polis jangan masuk campur, kalau tak, mati (Police, don't get involved, or else, you're dead)."

The duo then charged at him, forcing Kpl Ridzuan to open fire. "Though he (Kpl Ridzuan) was armed, and considering that the accused did not stop despite being issued three warnings and instea­d charged at him, I understand how this could make (Kpl) Ridzuan fear for his life," said Mohamed Kamil.

The court also found that three police officers at the scene and CCTV footage had proved that Muhdal­e­na had wielded a samurai sword during the incident.

Mohamed Kamil ruled that the two additional charges were proven by the fact Muhdalena had entered the PM's Department, a restricted area, without getting permission to do so. The court fixed Feb 13, 24 and 25 for Muhdalena to enter her defence.

Counsel M. Visvanathan told the court that in addition to Muhdalena, two psychiatrists would be testifying for the defence. Khalil Afendi died from his injuries.

Judge dismisses Shafee’s appeal

Posted: 10 Jan 2014 08:00 AM PST

KUALA LUMPUR: Lawyer Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah (pic) has lost his appeal to reverse a decision by the Advocates and Solicitors Disciplinary Board which fined him for misconduct in his professional capacity.

High Court (Appellate and Special Powers) judge Justice Zaleha Yusof held that the court should not interfere with the decision of the Bar Council.

"I agree with the respondent (Bar Council) that the article did contain laudatory remarks and statements about the appellant (Muhammad Shafee) and his firm which was beyond the scope or approved information allowed by the Legal Profession (Publicity) Rules 2001.

"I think what matters here is what was the opinion of the Bar Council as provided or by Rule 15 (1)(b)," she said in her ruling.

Under Rule 15 (1) (b) of the Rules 2001, any lawyer who has consented to be interviewed by the media should not be seen by the council as attempting to publicise his practice or his firm in a manner inconsistent with these Rules.

Justice Zaleha said she read the article on Muhammad Shafee and found that the words "top lawyer" and "high-profile lawyer" were that of the reporter and not of him (Muhammad Shafee).

"I dismiss this appeal with no order as to costs," she said.

Justice Zaleha ordered his co-counsel Sarah Abisegham to make a formal application when she applied for a stay pending appeal.

The board had on Oct 5, 2012 fined Muhammad Shafee RM5,000 following a complaint by then-Bar Council president Ragunath Kesavan on Sept 23, 2010 that he had breached Section 94(3) (k) of the Legal Profession Act.

The complaint was based on an interview given by Muhammad Shafee in two articles that appeared in The Star on Sept 27, 2009.

The board had affirmed the findings of the Disciplinary Committee that Muhammad Shafee had publicised himself and his firm of solicitors in a manner that infringed the Legal Profession Publicity Rules 2001, Legal Profession Practice and Etiquette Rules 1978 and Rules & Rulings of the Bar Council 2007.

He had on Nov 1, 2012 paid the fine to the Discipline Fund witho­ut prejudice to his rights to appeal and without admitting liability.

He filed the application on Nov 16, 2012 to set aside the board's decision and to be refunded on grounds that it had erred in law and fact.

200 Nepali workers protest over death of three countrymen

Posted: 11 Jan 2014 03:30 PM PST

ALOR SETAR: A group of 200 Nepali workers gathered in front of a timber mill in Jabi near here to protest against the death of their three co-workers.

They staged the protest in front of the mill at 8pm on Saturday until they were dispersed by the police two hours later.

It is learnt that they were concerned after three of their countrymen died due to suffocation at the mill's hostel last month.

Kota Setar Traffic and Public Order chief Deputy Supt Mat Akhir Jaafar said police have arrested three men to facilitate investigations.

He added that the death of the three workers at the hostel was classified as sudden death.


0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan


The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved