Ahad, 26 Januari 2014

The Star Online: Metro: South & East

Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Metro: South & East

One of Thailand's anti-govt protest leaders shot dead

Posted: 26 Jan 2014 02:26 AM PST

BANGKOK (AFP): A Thai anti-government protest leader was shot dead Sunday and several other people were injured as demonstrators blocked advance voting for a controversial general election.

"Suthin Tharathin was shot in the head while giving a speech from the back of a pick-up truck," protest spokesman Akanat Promphan told AFP.

"The government has failed to provide any safety and security for anybody today despite the emergency decree," he said, referring to a government order empowering police to control protests.

Bangkok's Erawan emergency centre confirmed one man had been killed and nine injured in the shooting in the city suburbs, without giving further details.

Hundreds of protesters earlier Sunday besieged polling stations in Bangkok and forced most to close, obstructing advance voting for next weekend's election and deepening doubts about whether it can go ahead.

The embattled government of Yingluck Shinawatra called the election for February 2 to try to calm months of street protests.

Demonstrators trying to topple her government fiercely oppose the snap election.

Suthin was the tenth person to be killed during nearly three months of rallies that have sparked international concern and investor fears over the country's economy.

Hundreds more have been wounded.

Each side in the bitterly divided kingdom blames the other for the violence.

Thailand's recent history has been scarred by sporadic street unrest since Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck's brother, was ousted by a military coup in 2006.

The most serious bloodshed was in 2010 when scores of pro-Thaksin Red Shirts were killed in an army crackdown.

Philippines, rebels see final peace deal in weeks

Posted: 26 Jan 2014 02:36 AM PST

Manila (AFP) - The Philippine government and the country's main Muslim rebel group said Sunday they hoped to sign within weeks a final peace deal to end decades of deadly insurgency after clearing the last hurdle in 18 years of negotiations.

A "comprehensive agreement" with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) should be signed in February or March, Manila's chief negotiator Miriam Coronel-Ferrer told AFP, following a breakthrough announced on Saturday.

"We have just been discussing the next steps and our goal is to be able to get a good schedule for that," she said from the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur where the last round of talks was held.

"We have set a time frame of between February and March," she added.

The talks that began in 1996 with the 12,000-strong MILF are aimed at ending an insurgency in the country's south that has left an estimated 150,000 people dead since the 1970s.

On Saturday, both sides agreed on a "normalisation" deal detailing how the rebels will hand over their weapons and the creation of a security force to police what will be a self-ruled Muslim region

Both sides had previously signed deals on power-sharing, taxation and governance, but the last agreement was more sensitive because the MILF had repeatedly warned it would not lay down its arms unless other threat groups in the south were disarmed.

After the final deal is signed, President Benigno Aquino is expected to sign a "basic law" for the creation of a new autonomous region for the Muslims.

This would then be passed to Congress, and subjected to a referendum, with Aquino hoping to have it completed by the time he ends his six-year term in 2016.

Long years of insurgency have left much of the southern region of Mindanao volatile, with a proliferation of unlicensed firearms in the hands of other armed groups, including Al Qaeda-linked militants and offshoots that are opposed to the talks.

But Ferrer said that to thwart any possible armed challenges, a joint security group composed of MILF fighters and government forces would be tasked to patrol the areas to be covered during the transition phase.

"There will always be contrarians, but as far as the partnership between the MILF and the government is concerned, we have mechanisms that will allow us to address peace and order concerns more effectively," Ferrer said.

She did not specify any group, but the toughest challenge to the peace deal came in September, when hundreds of supporters of rebel leader Nur Misuari laid siege to a key southern port city, leaving more than 240 dead in three weeks of fighting.

Misuari, who remains at large, founded the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF), from which the MILF splintered in the late 1970s.

MILF vice chairman for political affairs, Ghazali Jaafar, told AFP Sunday that the rebels were "ecstatic" over the new development but said much work remained to be done.

"The next step is that we will have to talk about the final wording of the comprehensive compact agreement," he said. "Meantime, a transitional commission will have to start drafting the basic law to be sent to Congress."

He said he believed a final deal would be in place "soon" but that some members of Congress in the mainly Catholic country may oppose the agreement.

Ferrer however said the peace process was "on track" to meet Aquino's deadline.

"We believe the majority of our people and our decision- and opinion-makers are on our side," she said.

The United States, Japan and the Europan Union were also upbeat about the breakthrough, calling it a historic moment that could finally bring peace to the region.

"This agreement offers the promise of peace, security, and economic prosperity now and for future generations in Mindanao," US Secretary of State John Kerry said in a statement. - AFP

Fire destroys 100 homes in centuries-old China village

Posted: 26 Jan 2014 02:32 AM PST

Beijing (AFP) - A fire has destroyed more than 100 homes in a Chinese village built three centuries ago, state media said on Sunday, the third blaze to ravage a cultural site in weeks.

The blazes, which all erupted in the southwest of the country, often burned down old wooden structures.

The latest fire broke out at Baojing Dong village in Guizhou province late Saturday and took more than four hours to put out, the state news agency Xinhua said.

The area was "one of China's most complete" settlements of the Dong ethnic minority, known for its "well-preserved" dwellings, it added.

Nearly 2,000 residents lived there but no casualties have yet been reported. The cause of the blaze remains under investigation, it said.

More than 200 similar settlements are located in the same prefecture of Qiandongnan and many have suffered from fires, local housing official Gu Huaxian was quoted by Xinhua as saying last month.

A separate blaze on January 10 destroyed more than 100 wooden homes in an ancient Tibetan town in the popular tourist area of Shangri-La in Yunnan province.

The fire at Gyalthang -- in an area said to have inspired British author James Hilton's mythical Shangri-La -- also took place overnight, with no casualties reported.

A week earlier 10 structures burned down in the Buddhist Serthar institute, a high-profile site for Tibetan culture in Sichuan province.

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan


The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved