Isnin, 30 Disember 2013

The Star Online: Metro: Sunday Metro

Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Metro: Sunday Metro

19,000 Indonesians flee erupting volcano

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 08:55 PM PST

SINABUNG (Indonesia) (AFP) - More than 19,000 people have been displaced by a volcano in Indonesia that has been erupting for months and shot lava into the air nine times overnight, an official said Tuesday. 

Mount Sinabung on the western island of Sumatra sent hot rocks and ash 7,000m (23,000 feet) in the air Monday night and Tuesday morning, National Disaster Mitigation Agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said. 

"Mount Sinabung remains on the highest alert level and we have warned there should be no human activity within a five-kilometre (three-mile) radius of the crater," Nugroho said. 

"On Monday night, 19,126 people had fled their homes, and we expect that number to rise," he said.

Police and soldiers were patrolling the danger zone to evacuate people who have chosen to stay in their homes, Nugroho said. 

Mount Sinabung - one of dozens of active volcanoes in Indonesia which straddles major tectonic fault lines, known as the Ring of Fire - erupted in September for the first time since 2010 and has been rumbling ever since. 

In August, five people were killed and hundreds evacuated when a volcano on a tiny island in East Nusa Tenggara province erupted. 

The country's most active volcano, Mount Merapi in central Java, killed more than 350 people in a series of violent eruptions in 2010.

‘Riot accused must report to ICA’

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 08:00 AM PST

THE project manager accused of taking part in the Little India riot on Dec 8 will still have to report to the Immigration and Check­points Authority daily, the court heard.

Arun Kaliamurthy, 28, who was in Singapore as a tourist on a social visit pass when the riot occurred, had last week asked the court through his lawyer M. Ravi to change ICA's "unilateral decision" to impose a daily reporting criteria to a weekly one, in line with court-ordered bail conditions.

But Deputy Public Prosecutor John Lu told the court that as Controller of Immigration, "ICA has the power to impose whatever conditions they want when they issue an 'S' Pass". — The Straits Times/ Asia News Net-work

Bus driver charged with causing death of passenger

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 08:00 AM PST

AN SMRT bus driver was charged with causing the death of a passenger and injuring another in an accident which occurred in July this year.

Zhang Kun, 39, is accused of causing the death of Malaysian Sasikumar Gunasakaran, 19, by doing a rash act along the slip road of Bukit Timah Expressway into Dairy Farm Road at about 8.55am on July 21.

He allegedly drove at 78kph when the speed limit imposed was 50kph.

While negotiating a sharp left bend, he lost control of the 700A bus which veered perpendicularly across the road and crossed over the centre divider before hitting a concrete barrier and toppled over.

The second charge states that he caused hurt to the other passenger, Ramanand Panday, 50, by doing an act so rashly as to endanger life. Sasikumar was found crushed between seats at the front part of the bus. His body had to be extricated.

Zhang, who is represented by M. Ravi, will appear in court again on Jan 27. If convicted, he could be jailed for up to five years and/or fined.

Causing hurt by doing a rash act is punishable with up to one year in jail and/or a fine of up to S$5,000 (RM12,977). — The Straits Times / Asia News Network


0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan


The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved