Khamis, 19 Disember 2013

The Star Online: Metro: Sunday Metro

Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Metro: Sunday Metro

Philippine mayor among four dead in Manila airport ambush

Posted: 19 Dec 2013 09:49 PM PST

MANILA: Four people, including the mayor of a southern Philippine town and his wife, were killed Friday in an ambush outside Manila international airport's passenger terminal, its general manager said.

"The mayor and his family and some security escorts were attacked," Manila airport general manager Angel Honrado told reporters, adding one of the dead was the mayor of Labangan town in the troubled southern region of Mindanao.

Ukol Talumpa, a member of the political opposition, won a hotly contested election for mayor of Labangan in last May's elections.

The mayor, his wife, other members of his family and their bodyguards were shot at by at least two men as they stepped out of the passenger terminal shortly after getting off a flight from the southern Philippines, Honrado said.

Four people were killed and four others wounded in the shooting, he said, adding "the mayor and his wife" were among the dead.

Footage by local television GMA showed a man slumped on the curb of the airport driveway, with two trolleys full of luggage either side of him.

Police are withholding the identities of the other victims pending notification of next of kin, he added.

Honrado, speaking alongside Manila police officials at a news conference, said the authorities did not know the identity of the gunmen nor the motive for the attack.

The Philippines is infamous for a brutal brand of democracy where politicians - particularly at local and provincial levels - are willing to bribe, intimidate or kill to ensure they win.

More than 60 people were killed in last May's elections, when 18,000 posts from provincial governor to town and city mayors as well as city and town executive councils were contested.

At the Manila airport Friday, airport security force chased after the gunmen but they escaped on a motorcycle in the heavy late-morning traffic outside the terminal, Honrado said.

"This is a very unfortunate incident that did happen at Terminal 3," Honrado said.

"Government agencies are trying their best to determine the perpetrators and bring them to justice."

He appealed to other passengers who witnessed the shooting to help the police identify the suspects. -AFP

Three more remanded after riot

Posted: 19 Dec 2013 03:49 PM PST

THREE more alleged rioters in the Dec 8 incident in Little India were on Thursday afternoon ordered to be remanded until the following week to assist in ongoing investigations.

Agreeing to the prosecution's request, District Judge Lim Tse Haw cited the scale and sheer amount of evidence involved in the case for the trio to be remanded at 'A' Division. The case against them will be heard next Monday, along with 25 others who had appeared in court earlier in the week.

All Indian nationals, namely Karuppaiah Chandrasekar, 31, Palanivel Dhasmohan, 27, and Arumugam Karthik, 24, had been charged in court last week (on different days) for being part of an unlawful assembly at Little India on Dec 8.

A riot was sparked on that day after a fatal traffic accident involving construction worker Sakthivel Kumaravelu, a 33-year-old Indian national, and a private bus operated by BT&Tan.

Two of the accused, Karuppaiah Chandrasekar and Palanivel Dhasmohan, were alleged to have thrown hardened concrete at police officers.

The third, Arumugam Karthik, is said to have been part of a group of at least five that had overturned and set a police car on fire, as well as thrown a dustbin, hardened concrete, bottles and a metal drain cover at the bus windscreen and windows.

When asked if they had anything to say, the three men, who were dressed in yellow polo tees, all shook their heads. There will be a hearing next Monday. — The Straits Times / Asia News Net­work

Fishing union boss shot dead in Japan

Posted: 19 Dec 2013 08:16 PM PST

TOKYO: Japanese police said the head of a fishermen's union was shot dead Friday, the second fatal shooting in as many days in a nation unaccustomed to gun crime.

Tadayoshi Ueno, 70, was found lying in the street in the southern city of Kitakyushu after residents nearby heard what was believed to be the sound of gunfire.

Local police said he was confirmed dead at hospital, with reports suggesting he had been shot multiple times.

Gun crime is rare in Japan, and incidents involving firearms usually have a connection to organised crime groups.

Ueno, whose family runs a civil engineering company, was previously fired at in front of his house in 1997 but escaped unhurt, Jiji Press news agency said.

However, his brother was shot dead the following year, a crime for which mobsters were arrested, with investigators saying they had targeted him because he refused to give favours in public works projects, Jiji said.

Friday's shooting came the day after the president of a well-known dumpling restaurant chain was shot dead in the ancient western city of Kyoto. -AFP


0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan


The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved