Jumaat, 6 Disember 2013

The Star Online: Entertainment: TV & Radio


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Entertainment: TV & Radio


Thank you for the telly

Posted:

With no turkey or pumpkin pie around, the Spudniks observe the American Thanksgiving holiday by taking stock of what they're most grateful for on television.

ONE of our favourite Thanksgiving TV specials was an episode of Will & Grace called Homo For The Holidays. Will, Grace and Karen are shocked to learn that Jack's mother has no clue that he is homosexual. Grace even says to to Jack, "On some level, your mother has to know you're gay. I mean, she has met you right?"

With the encouragement of his friends, Jack decides to come out of the closet to his mother at Thanksgiving dinner, but as it turns out, his mother had a bigger surprise for him – she doesn't quite know who his real father is!

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Malaysia, but in solidarity with all of our American (TV) friends, we've decided to commemorate the day by listing down five things we're most thankful for where TV is concerned.

1. Man's best friend

Indra: Firstly, I am thankful for TV itself. I don't know what my life would be without it. Ok, I probably would get out of the house more and interact with actual people instead of characters on a show. And I'd probably end up spending more money on things I don't need. Oh my God, TV really is my saviour!

Ann Marie: For as long as I can remember television has been a dear, dear friend. Thank you John Logie Baird. When there's nothing else to do, there's always TV. And today, with my media player, I can watch what I want, when I want. I feel so grateful. And to think that one of the leading researchers into television in the 1930s, Issac Shoenberg, told his research team (who had invented the world's first practical TV camera) that they "had invented the world's biggest time-waster of all time"!

2. Partners in crime

Indra: Let's face it, some days (like the past weekend, for example) there is simply nothing worth watching on TV. But even in these dark times, we can be comforted in knowing that on at least one channel, an episode of Law & Order (be it Special Victims Unit, Criminal Intent, or Los Angeles) is airing. And for this, I thank Dick Wolf. Despite running for years (the original Law & Order series holds the record for longest running dramatic show on TV) the show still has great stories to tell and compelling investigations and court drama.

Ann Marie: Indra is right, of course. Many times I've switched from channel to channel only to finally settle for Law & Order. Thanks to Dick Wolf, in the past I had Miami Vice and Hill Street Blues to keep me glued to the TV. But let's not stop there. Any crime series really can whet my appetite – CSI sort of opened the floodgates for me at one point because I even got to choose which city (Las Vegas, Miami, New York) and ensemble I preferred.

Even back in the day, there was so much to choose from – Police Woman, Charlie's Angels, CHiPS, Hunter. There's something about crime dramas, and the fact that they wrap up in an hour, that is strangely soothing. Maybe it is a way of acknowledging that crime exists, but we're doing something about it. That there are there are a few good men and women out there working their butts off to keep us safe and sane.

3. Bang up job

Indra: Sheldon Cooper, Amy Farrah Fowler, Howard Wolowitz, Rajesh Koothrappali, Penny and Bernadette Rostenkowski. Oh, okay maybe even Leonard Hofstadter. I am so thankful for knowing this bunch. Not since Friends has an ensemble endeared themselves to me as much and I can always count on one or all of them to crack me up.

Ann Marie: Yeah, so, does anyone know Penny's surname? What's with that? I love watching Big Bang Theory but I am so behind. Which is a good thing and I am thankful for it because there will be so much happy catching up to do. I am also grateful because it is one of those series that brings people together. You can be a geek, a hipster, an Indian, Jew, intellectual or not, and you'll love it nonetheless. Somehow it has a universal appeal, and what's more, it caters to the discerning laugh-hunter (okay, I stole that phrase from thetvreviewguy.blogspot.com). Thank you, thetvreviewguy, I am thankful for you too.

4. Pease pudding and        saveloys

Indra: Thank goodness for modern-day cooking shows (that includes reality cooking competitions) that are not only entertaining but make cooking and baking look exciting, fun and most of all, possible to do.

Ann Marie: I hate cooking. But since cooking has become so accessible and informative and entertaining, I have been so enthusiastic about being in my kitchen. I remember my son and I trying out a chicken schnitzel recipe after watching MasterChef Junior participants try it out on TV. And the likes of Anna Olson and Michael Smith just make everything seem so darn effortless. Really, I am exceedingly grateful for cooking shows. They have changed my life. I'm no chef, but I no longer have a fear of trying something out and working at it to get it right. They have also, I think, made me a little more adventurous when it comes to tasting food. Thank you Anthony Bourdain for taking me around the world and introducing me to fresh and exciting cuisines.

5. Candy

Indra: Eye candy that is. Where do I even begin? Stephen Amell (Arrow), Gabriel Macht (Suits), Idris Elba (Luther), Jensen Ackles (Supernatural), Simon Baker (The Mentalist), Alexander SkarsgÄrd (True Blood), Matt Bomer (White Collar), Sam Palladio (Nashville), Jim Caviezel (Person Of Interest) ... the list goes on and on and on.

Ann Marie: Oooohhh you had me at Idris Elba. Once you go black ... you understand why you need to be thankful. I'll have that hot chocolate now, thanks.

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved