Sabtu, 16 November 2013

The Star Online: Metro: Central

Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Metro: Central

Suspected hacker claims trial


JAMES Raj Arokiasamy, the alleged hacker accused of using "The Messiah" pseudonym, is claiming trial, said lawyer M. Ravi after a short discussion with his client in court.

This came yesterday after Ravi's application to have access to his client was heard earlier in the day at the High Court.

Justice Choo Han Teck allowed the lawyer to meet with Arokiasamy for a few minutes before he was led away after the hearing.

The prosecution had no objections to the meeting.

Arokiasamy is suspected of having signed off as "The Messiah" after he allegedly hacked into the Ang Mo Kio Town Coun­cil's website on Oct 28, court documents filed by the pro-secution on Tuesday showed.

Apart from the Misuse of Computer and Cybersecurity Act, the runaway drug offender, who had been in hiding since 2011, also faces three charges for drug consumption.

The 35-year-old, who was arrested in Malaysia on Nov 4, is currently being remanded at the Institute of Mental Health for psychiatric evaluation.

The case against him will be heard again in court on Nov 26. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network

Govt knew Yong could escape death penalty


THE Singaporean government was aware that drug mule Yong Vui Kong could escape the gallows when it proposed lifting the mandatory drug penalty, said Law Minister K. Shanmugam.

But it went ahead with the changes for the benefit of the wider society, he told reporters on the sidelines of a gathering of Common­wealth foreign ministers here on Thursday.

"We were certainly aware of the possibility that he could be one of those to benefit from the changes because we know that he had given some information which led to the arrest of someone else more senior in the hierarchy," Shanmugam said.

"It was a case that seemed to fit with the changes we were making, but we made those changes as they were in the interest of society as a whole."

The minister was responding to a question on whether the high-profile nature of the Malaysian's fight against the death penalty was a factor in his resentencing.

Earlier on Thursday, Yong, 25, became the first convicted drug trafficker to be given a chance under the new law. He was resentenced to life imprisonment and 15 strokes of the cane by the High Court.

Judges now have the discretion to impose life terms and caning on drug couriers who substantively assist the Central Narcotics Bureau.

Shanmugam said that the lifting of the mandatory drug penalty would provide an incentive for drug couriers to help the authorities nab bigger fish.

"If they know that the more they tell us, the more certainty they will face the death penalty, they will not cooperate," he noted. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network


0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan


The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved