Sabtu, 19 Oktober 2013

The Star Online: Nation

Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Nation

Two foreigners accused of ATM theft


MARAN: Two foreigners have been charged with stealing money from an automated teller machine (ATM).

Argentinian Carlos Alberto Gonzales, 55, and Peruvian Timoteo Bartolome, 31, allegedly cut open the ATM at the Bank Rakyat branch in Jalan Perpustakaan between 3am and 5am on Oct 9.

No plea was recorded and bail was not offered.

Magistrate Rini Triani Mohamad Ali set Nov 20 for the case to be mentioned.

Insp Ridzwan Seman was prosecuting while the two accused were not represented.

The court was told that Gonzales and Bartolome had fled with RM174,000 from the ATM.

But police, alerted to the theft, caught one of them near the Maran toll plaza just 15 minutes after they made their escape.

The accomplice managed to hide in a nearby oil palm plantation but was eventually caught.

An assortment of cutting tools and five steel boxes containing the stolen cash were found in their car.

Battle lines drawn ahead of December polls


KUALA LUMPUR: Like it or not, the battle lines for the tussle for the MCA top two posts – president and deputy president – are being drawn two months ahead of the Dec 21 party elections.

The outcome of the extraordinary general meeting (EGM) to censure incumbent deputy president Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai tomorrow will inevitably reflect to a huge extent the choice of the 2,380 plus delegates at the central elections in December.

It cannot be denied that there are two factions for the time being, one led by president Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek and the other by Liow.

Liow has announced his desire to go for presidency in July.

His running mate (deputy president) is widely speculated to be Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong but the line-up on Dr Chua's side is not clear.

While Dr Chua said he would not defend his post, he has also voiced his concern over passing the baton to Liow.

The resolution to censure Liow states that he has refused to accept collective party decisions, and that his actions have triggered in-fighting among members and tainted the party's image.

Liow who was chairman of the general election preparation committee was also said to have not played his role, visiting not more than 10 of the 127 parliamentary and state constituencies that the MCA contested in.

With less than 48 hours to the EGM, the speculations on the much anticipated event have reached feverish pitch.

Among others there were allegations that Liow had sought Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin's help to strike off the resolution to censure him.

Yesterday, Liow had to call a press conference to deny that.

Dr Chua stressed that the resolution to censure Liow was not personal and the only winner from this was the party, adding that the resolution was to send a strong message to future MCA leaders to take their duties seriously and also not to trigger a party crisis when the party elections is due every three years.

Yesterday, there was also talk that the Registrar of Societies has directed the party to cancel the EGM.

One of the 20 central committee members who petitioned for the EGM said the rumour that the much awaited event was cancelled only went to show the other side was not confident of winning.

He said the bid to drag RoS in was also to frighten delegates or make delegates angry, thinking that MCA would risk being de-registered when it went against RoS.

He described such a tactic as undermining the intelligence of the delegates and no respect for the party's dignity and pride as a democratic party.

Party secretary-general Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha confirmed that there was no such directive from RoS.

He said preparations were smooth and the results of the EGM would be out around 2pm.

The central delegates would start to cast their votes at Wisma MCA here at 10am, he said, adding that some of them from outstation had arrived yesterday.

Kong said the turn out is expected to be about 90%.

The other three resolutions at the EGM are to revert an earlier party resolution of not accepting any government posts when the party's performance in GE13 was worse than that of GE12.

Well, more speculations and claims will surface until the results are out.

This is part and parcel of politics.

Families cause a ruckus at mortuary over engineer’s body


MALACCA: Two families traded insults and caused a ruckus outside the Malacca Hospital mortuary over the funeral arrangements for an engineer who died from burns to his body.

The family of the dead man accused his widow of driving the engineer to his death with her alleged incessant nagging and ridicule.

The 42-year-old engineer died after dousing himself with petrol following a heated argument with his wife at their home in Taman Sutera, Batu Berendam, near here, at around 4pm on Oct 15.

He died at the hospital at about 11am yesterday.

His family prevented the 41-year-old woman from taking back the engineer's body to the couple's home and to make the funeral arrangement as they were furious at her for allegedly "mentally abusing" him and causing his death.

The situation became rowdy and so tense that the police had to be called to calm both sides.

It took the policemen about four hours to appease the two families.

"We finally gave them the solution that the body will be cremated straight away after the autopsy is done," said state deputy CID chief Supt P.R. Gunarajan, adding the post-mortem is expected to be completed today.

The engineer's neighbours told police the couple, who had three children from their marriage of over 20 years, often fought over family matters.

Following an argument on Tuesday, the man hastily walked out of the house.

When he returned home about two hours later at around 6pm, he brought a bottle of petrol and right before his wife's eyes poured the fuel over his body and set himself on fire.

The victim, described as a quiet person, had 40% burns on his body and was warded at the inten- sive care unit of the Malacca Hospital.

Supt Gunarajan said the victim's family was emotionally upset and could not forgive his wife

"We managed to console all of them and allow the funeral arrangement to go on smoothly without any problem," he added.


0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan


The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved