Selasa, 15 Oktober 2013

The Star Online: Nation

Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Nation

RM20 becomes RM12,000 loss


KUALA LUMPUR: For 10 years, Wong Choong Leong has been donating to charities whenever members of his family celebrate their birthdays.

However, the 46-year-old father of three is thinking of stopping the tradition after a RM20 cheque turned into a RM12,000 loss.

On Sept 3, he mailed three cheques for RM20 to three different charity bodies, with only one cheque reaching its intended recipient.

Wong received a call from his bank on Sept 19 asking for confirmation for a cheque payment of RM8,264 to a personal account.

"I did not recognise the payee and I told my bank to stop payment," he said at a press conference held by the MCA Public Services and Complaints Department at Wisma MCA here yesterday.

However, he failed to stop payment for the other cheque as he was not informed by the bank.

"On Sept 26, I noticed that my bank balance was unusually low. I was shocked to find RM12,000 was missing from my account."

Wong requested images of the cheques from the bank and discovered that all the payment details had been altered, except for his signature.

He lodged a report at the Brickfields police station the same day.

That was not the end of his troubles.

The police issued him a letter the following day saying there was no element of commercial crime in the case. The police asked him to refer to his bank instead.

"I was shocked. I wonder if there was any investigation done before the letter was issued," Wong added.

Department head Datuk Seri Michael Chong said Wong's case was the second one he received this year related to cheque fraud.

"Since 2010, I have received seven cases totalling RM61,916.20.

"I am sure there are more out there," he said, adding that authorities should find a solution to such cases.

Police let Surendran tag along on raids against gun-toting criminals


SEPANG: It is all systems go for PKR vice-president N. Surendran to follow the police on their operations to nab culprits involved in gun-related crimes.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar commended Surendran for taking up the offer to have a first hand look at the difficulties police face in dealing with dangerous criminals.

"He and his lawyer have already spoken to Federal CID director Comm Datuk Hadi Ho Abdullah regarding the indemnity documents he needs to sign.

"The reason for this is so that we are not held responsible should anything happen during a raid," he told reporters yesterday.

Last Friday, Khalid tweeted that the police force was offering Suren­dran a chance to have a taste of what it would feel like to be confronted by armed criminals.

The offer came about as the Padang Serai MP had been a vocal critic against alleged use of excessive force and unlawful shootings by the police.

Yesterday, Khalid said he was not worried about leaks on operation details as Surendran would only be informed at the last moment before the raid was carried out.

"He had better be ready to receive calls in the wee hours of the morning to follow us.

"This invitation is strictly only for Surendran.

"We will not allow any other ministers or YBs to tag along, now or in future," he said.

When contacted, Surendran said he was not dismissing the fact that the police were at risk during their course of duty.

"But the point I'm trying to make is they can't use excessive force and shoot unlawfully," he said, adding that he believed there were rogue officers.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi lauded the arrangement between the two parties and said he hoped Surendran would be able to "see for himself" following accusations that the police were trigger-happy.

Related Story:

MIC lauds IGP over action against racist police officers

Cops held over fatal shooting of debt collector


GEORGE TOWN: Two policemen have been detained in connection with the shooting of a 38-year-old debt collector at an entertainment outlet in Auto City, Bukit Mertajam.

Penang police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Abdul Rahim Hanafi said a lance corporal in his early 30s and a 55-year-old sergeant were detained following a tip-off.

"We confiscated the corporal's pistol at a house in Kulim.

"We also picked up a 34-year old woman who was with him at the entertainment outlet to assist in our investigations.

"A 9mm Luger bullet casing and a live bullet of the same kind were recovered from the scene," SDCP Abdul Rahim said.

He said the 55-year-old sergeant, who was attached to the Johor police contingent, was here for the Hari Raya Haji holiday.

The three suspects will be produced at the Bukit Mertajam court for a remand order today.

Police have also obtained CCTV footages of the incident.

It is understood that the victim was shot in the abdomen following a misunderstanding with a policeman at the outlet at around 2.30am yesterday.

He succumbed to his injuries at the Seberang Jaya Hospital here later.

SDCP Abdul Rahim said police were still ascertaining the motive of the attack.


0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan


The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved