Sabtu, 29 Jun 2013

The Star Online: Entertainment: Music


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Entertainment: Music


Solid footing

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 01:44 AM PDT

Touring has made Emmy The Great feel sure of herself.

She has released two acclaimed albums which have appeared on music critics' "best of" year-end lists, but up until recently, Hong Kong-born, London-based indie/folk singer-songwriter Emmy The Great has never felt like a true musician.

"I feel like I have been introverted in my music career," the 29-year-old said in an interview at The P' Club Group, a lifestyle and furnishings store at High Street Centre in Singapore earlier this month.

She was in Singapore to perform at a party at the same venue.

"I'm no introvert, but it's been very hard work trying to break into a world that you don't understand completely. I'm not a natural musician."

But the past two years of touring have changed her, and the new batch of songs that she is currently working on reflects her new approach to making music.

"I finally feel confident enough to call myself a musician and look outward. The way the world has changed, we converse in new ways, the Internet has changed the way that we think and I just want my music to reflect that.

"I don't want to be sitting next to some analogue machine saying "let's recreate the 1960s". I want to live now and this is going to go out of date soon, so let's make it quickly."

Born Emma-Lee Moss to an English father and a Chinese mother, her 2009 debut album, First Love, was one of the New York Times' Top 10 albums of the year.

Her 2011 sophomore effort, Virtue, garnered more praises, with the BBC describing it as an "extraordinarily confident work".

Born and raised in Hong Kong, she moved to London, where she is now based, when she was 12. Her onstage monicker was from a nickname that her university schoolmates had for her.

Moss, who is single, has also made music with some of the more notable names in the British indie scene, such as Noah & The Whale, Lightspeed Champion and Kate Nash. One of her most frequent collaborators is Tim Wheeler, frontman of popular Britpop band Ash and the two of them released a Yuletide album, This Is Christmas, in 2011.

She is most excited when talking about her recent collaboration with one of her musical heroes, Graham Coxon, guitarist of seminal British band Blur. Together with Wheeler, the three are working on a soundtrack for an upcoming British film about a fictional Britpop band called The Wanderers.

"I am obsessed with him. My life got so much better by watching my guitar hero play. I went home that night after the recording and bought every single guitar pedal that he had," she says with a laugh. – The Straits Times, Singapore/Asia News Network

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved