Khamis, 27 Jun 2013

The Star Online: Entertainment: Movies


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Entertainment: Movies


Channing Tatum is one busy man

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 08:50 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Channing Tatum has been enjoying a stellar rise to movie stardom over the last few years, and even if White House Down isn't the explosive hit he's hoping for, his career is showing no signs of flaming out any time toon.

While White House, Roland Emmerich's US$150 million exercise in the art of CGI destruction, is only on track to rake in around US$30 million at the domestic box office this weekend, Tatum has at least three other potential moneymakers in some level of production.

The biggest of the three, at least in size and scope, is Jupiter Ascending, the next sci-fi spectacular from Matrix directors Lana and Andy Wachowski.

Tatum stars opposite Mila Kunis in Warner Bros.' summer 2014 release, which follows a destitute woman (Kunis) targeted for assassination by the Queen of the Universe because her very existence threatens to end the Queen's reign over the cosmos. Tatum will expand his action star power as a genetically engineered ex-military hunter who arrives on Earth to track Kunis down.

Although Tatum's showbiz success has been steadily increasing since he made young women swoon as a troubled breakdancing janitor in 2006's Step Up, the 33 year old proved his comedic chops in last year's breakout comedy hit, 21 Jump Street, which he also executive produced.

Following a hilarious cameo in Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's This Is The End, Tatum hopes comedy fans will once again flock to see him go undercover alongside Jonah Hill in 22 Jump Street - another project that should assure Tatum has a strong summer showing next year.

And just as Tatum proved his worth as a funny person, Foxcatcher - a wrestling drama based on a tragic true story - should elevate his thespian status in the eyes of the most serious filmmakers.

Tatum stars in Moneyball director Bennet Miller's next film as Olympic Wrestling Champion Mark Schultz, whose brother, Olympic Champion Dave Schultz (Mark Ruffalo), is killed by paranoid schizophrenic John duPont (Steve Carell). Columbia Pictures is releasing the Annapurna Pictures production on October 15.

Tatum is also busy building his producing credits, which began with the 2010 documentary Earth Made Of Glass, followed by the 2011 ensemble high school reunion flick, 10 Years. Tatum's company, 33andOut Productions, is developing Peter Pan origin adventure, Neverland, which Gavin O'Connor (Warrior) will direct for Sony Pictures.

Most recently, Tatum has set his ambitions toward making it on the small screen, too. He is attached to executive produce a television pilot written by actor Nick Zano. Still untitled, the project is in very early stages of development at Warner Bros. Television. The half-hour, multi-camera comedy is based on Zano's own experience being raised in a multi-generational house of seven women in New Jersey.

Still want more Tatum? Cross your fingers 20th Century Fox can close a deal with him to appear alongside Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the theatrical adaptation of classic musical, Guys And Dolls.

So with a bevy of projects on the heels of release, entering production, or graduating from development, the Magic Mike star's future appears to be brighter than a strobe light flashing in a Florida strip club.

Cult series 'Knight Rider' to hit silver screen

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 08:37 PM PDT

The small-screen adventures of Michael Knight and K.I.T.T., his artificially intelligent car, are inching towards the big screen now that a scripter has been attached, reveals the Los Angeles Times.

The Weinstein Company, which bought up the film rights back in 2006, has just kicked off the project by tapping Brad Copeland to pen a rough draft.

Writer/producer Copeland has already got his hand in scripting for the series Arrested Development and My Name Is Earl as well as for the comedy outlaw biker picture Wild Hogs. Given this background, the movie version of Knight Rider looks likely to be on the comic side.

Cult series

Knight Rider was a very popular TV series in the 1980s. It followed the day-to-day adventures of Michael Knight, a police detective who was shot in the face and believed dead, and then became the primary field agent in a billionaire's "public justice" Foundation for Law and Government (FLAG).

This modern-day knight roamed the highways and byways of America, crusading for justice in -- and with the indispensable help of -- his autonomous partner, an artificially intelligent, talking and teasing car named K.I.T.T. (short for Knight Industries Two Thousand).

The series, which was discontinued in 1986, sparked a TV film in the early 1990s, as well as an NBC TV remake series in 2008, likewise called Knight Rider, which only ran for one season before being cancelled for low ratings.

(Relaxnews)

Accidental success

Posted: 27 Jun 2013 02:22 AM PDT

Lance Reddick talks about working his way up to White House Down.

Though he always felt something was pushing him toward acting, Lance Reddick ignored it. His dad was an attorney, and Reddick was on his way to becoming a classical music composer. Then something went awry.

"I always knew I had a thing when it came to acting but never took it seriously. I just thought people who wanted to be actors were silly," he says in the sunny patio restaurant of a hotel in Pasadena, California.

It may have been silly, but Reddick has managed to parlay that tom-foolery into a full blown career with memorable performances in TV shows like Oz, Fringe, Lost and The Wire and his new movie, White House Down.

For a guy who was too shy to even consider performing, he somehow beat the odds. He studied music composition at the prestigious Eastman School of Music, the piano his instrument. "Because my parents wanted to give me what they didn't have, I grew up around a bunch of affluent white kids," says Reddick.

"So everybody's parents were lawyers and doctors, bankers and architects. I didn't really get it. Now I do." He developed his first taste for music at an Episcopal elementary school when he started singing with the choir. "A lot of black people grow up singing gospel music. I grew up singing Gregorian chants and 16th century motets," he grins.

Still, he left Eastman before he graduated. "I realised I was in denial and I really wanted to be a rock star," he says.

"So, I got married straight out of school, moved to Boston because my wife at the time was from there. Two years later my daughter was born. And I found myself working three jobs, seven days a week."

He still wasn't sure what he wanted to do. But an excruciating back injury changed all that. "I was lifting a big bundle of newspapers, but it wasn't the lifting itself, it was the exhaustion. I'd come from a double shift of waiting tables to a double shift of delivering newspapers and I delivered the Wall Street Journal in downtown Boston ... I just cranked it up for about 24 hours, and I was just exhausted and something went," he says.

"At the time I was used to working on adrenaline and I worked out every day – even with all I had going on. So when I was in pain or exhausted I just ignored it and kept going."

Two weeks later he awoke unable to get out of bed. Fourteen days of bed rest forced him to re-evaluate his life.

"It sounds crazy but I thought, 'Well, I know the recording studio I'm working with is taking me for a ride. It's time for me to admit that to myself. So let me start from scratch. I can sing and I can act. So let me try to act ...' I went on a couple of musical theatre auditions and realised that wasn't me, so I started going on straight auditions and getting cast and getting cast and getting cast."

Though at one time he was co-starring in three shows at once, it wasn't always so easy. Married with a daughter, 24, and a son, 19, he and his first wife split in 1997. (He has since remarried).

"She made three times the money I did," he recalls. "God rest her soul, she passed away a couple years ago, but she was a brilliant artist, really talented. We didn't make it, but she was a great lady," he sighs.

"Six months after she left, I got The Siege and I was ducking the landlord. And I had the kids every other week, so I was borrowing money to buy groceries. I got The Siege, then I got I Dreamed Of Africa, then went to the Guthrie and got to play Marc Antony (in Julius Caesar.) I came back home to New York and didn't work for six months. For somebody who's always doing a side job or has a trust fund or savings, it's one thing. But I didn't ... The only reason I didn't quit was I didn't have any alternatives. What was I going to do, wait tables? The only way to get out of the situation I was in was to make it." – McClatchy-Tribune Information Services

> White House Down, starring Channing Tatum and Lance Reddick, opens in cinemas nationwide today. Read Star2's interview with Tatum this Sunday.

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved