Rabu, 9 Januari 2013

The Star Online: Sports


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Sports


Ramdan knows it won’t be easy to convince Misbun to coach him

Posted: 09 Jan 2013 04:39 PM PST

KELANA JAYA: Reigning national men's singles champion Misbun Ramdan Misbun has done the "easy" part – quitting the national badminton team.

Now, however, comes the "hard" part – convincing his father Misbun Sidek to coach him into a world-beater.

"I'll go fishing with him if I have to ... although I don't really fancy it, so that I can talk to him to give me a chance. I'll even use my mother to persuade him. All I want right now is for my father to coach me," said Ramdan, who left the national set-up on Monday.

Ramdan has been training under his uncle Rahman Sidek at the Kelana Jaya Stadium, which is the training centre for professional club Nusa Mahsuri.

Ramdan, who will turn 22 in March, clarified yesterday that "no one has brainwashed me into leaving the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) set up".

Two years ago, Misbun resigned as the national coach citing disappointment over some officials in BAM.

"It's my decision. I've been thinking about it for a while. In fact, I wanted to follow my father when he left the national team (in January, 2011) but he wanted me to stay put and be independent. He didn't want me to be too dependent on him," said Ramdan.

"So I stayed back and trained diligently under Hendrawan and I am grateful to him. Hendrawan understands and supports me.

"Over the last two years, I was able to assess the situation myself. Winning the Pahang Open and the national title last year have given me the confidence to make this decision. I defeated Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng and Zulfadli Zulkifli for the first time.

"My father has never interfered with my coaching programme under Hendrawan. In fact, I've not trained under him (Misbun) for the last two years although we stay under the same roof. He only advises me when I ask for some tips.

"Most of the time he is away, fishing somewhere ... you know my father," he said, flashing a cheeky smile.

Ramdan now hopes to qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janerio under Misbun's guidance.

"Players like Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Roslin Hashim and Lee Chong Wei achieved great results when they trained under my father," said Ramdan.

"I'm jealous. I want my own father to guide me to similar success too. I am, after all, his own flesh and blood!

"I've left BAM despite their good facilities, comprehensive training and good allowances ... but I know what I'm looking for right now.

"I just want my father's touch to go further in my badminton career."

Ramdan, the third of Misbun's six children, said he's also willing to adhere to his father's no-nonsense approach on court.

"I started taking badminton seriously when I was 13. Then, I used to train under my father from 5.30am to noon sometimes. I'd usually fall sick a day later. I dreaded going for training.

"But everything has changed now. I'm ready to take whatever my father has up his sleeve."

As for his next assignment – the Malaysian Open (at Putra Stadium from Jan 16-20) – world No. 87 Ramdan said: "I am looking forward to this tournament ... I know where I stand against the more experienced players. I'll give my best."

He faces China's Chen Yuekun in the first round of the qualifying tournament on Tuesday. If he wins, he will take on the winner of the match between Gao Huan of China and Singapore's Ashton Chen Yong Zhao for a place in the main draw.

Chong Wei gets off to a sluggish start in Korea

Posted: 09 Jan 2013 03:16 PM PST

KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei got off to a sluggish start but it was quite an inspiring day for several youngsters in the Korean Open Super Series Premier in Seoul.

Top seed and defending champion Chong Wei dropped a game for the first time against former world junior champion Wang Zhengming before prevailing 17-21, 21-14, 21-16 to march into the second round.

It was his sixth win over Zhengming.

National coach Tey Seu Bock said that Chong Wei struggled to find his rhythm in the opening game but quickly managed to recover and restore order.

"He dropped a game because he was struggling to adapt to the slow shuttle. He also committed more mistakes than his opponent. But once he settled down, Chong Wei was back in command," said Seu Bock.

Chong Wei's next opponent will be Germany's Marc Zwiebler, who stopped a gutsy Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia 16-21, 21-14, 21-17.

There was more joy for Malaysia in the men's singles when Chong Wei Feng lived dangerously before scoring a 24-22, 21-16 win over Sweden's Hendri Hurskainen. He will take on Gao Huan of China next.

Gao Huan and Ashton Chen Yong Zhao of Singapore enjoyed a remarkable day when they overcame two of China's top players – Chen Jin and Chen Long – in contrasting fashion.

Gao Huan, who just made his mark in the senior ranks last year, fought tooth-and-nail to beat former world champion and third seed Chen Jin 14-21, 21-14, 21-15 while the 24-year-old Ashton had a lucky break when second seed Chen Long retired while trailing 4-11 in the opening game.

In the men's doubles, Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem resumed their partnership on a bright note, clearing their first hurdle with a 15-21, 21-13, 21-17 win over South Koreans Cho Gun-woo-Kim Dae-eun.

The duo, who had not play together as a pair for the last six months due to personal differences, showed that they had mended their ways with this win. They will take on fourth seeds Hiroyuki Endo-Kenichi Hayakawa of Japan next.

The Japanese continued to be a bane to Malaysia's Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong. Hiroyuki-Kenichi won 21-12, 20-22, 21-14 for their fifth straight win over the Malaysians.

Top doubles pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong will take on Malaysian professionals Gan Teik Chai-Ong Soon Hock today after both pairs disposed of South Koreans rivals – Kang Ji-wook-Lee Sang-hoon and Kim Jae-hwan-Kim Jung-ho – in convincing fashion.

Aik Mong keen on national coaching director’s post

Posted: 09 Jan 2013 03:16 PM PST

KUALA LUMPUR: Tan Aik Mong, a member of the 1967 Thomas Cup winning team, is interested in the national coaching director's post.

It is learnt that the 65-year-old Aik Mong has called up Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh to offer his services.

Aik Mong feels that the knowledge he has gained would be useful in charting Malaysia's badminton fortunes.

The national coaching director's spot is still vacant as the man earmarked for the post – South Korean legend Park Joo-bong – has decided to stay on with the Japanese team as their chief coach.

The others under consideration include Wong Ah Jit, Kwan Yoke Meng, Cheah Soon Kit, Razif Sidek.

The BAM will deliberate on the national coaching director's post at their exco meeting on Jan 16 – the opening day of the Malaysian Open.

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved