Isnin, 7 Januari 2013

The Star Online: Entertainment: Music


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Entertainment: Music


Salamiah stays strong and positive after surviving breast cancer

Posted: 06 Jan 2013 03:18 PM PST

KUALA LUMPUR: Petite 80s singer Salamiah Hassan is a happy grandmother but few Malaysians know that she is also a cancer survivor.

At the height of her singing career 30 years ago, Salamiah was diagnosed with breast cancer.

But the singer famous for the song Gelombang kept it a secret, even from her own family members as she did not want people to feel pity for her.

She contracted breast cancer in 1981 when she was 30.

"I just kept quiet as I did not want others to sympathise with me. My family initially did not know anything about it until one day, they suspected that something was wrong.

"That day, after my chemotherapy session, I went home and vomited in my room," she said.

"I pretended that everything was fine, but I was scared and sad."

She decided to read more about the illness, saying that the knowledge she gained from her "research" gave her strength to move forward.

Salamiah, who took part in the Bakat TV competition held by Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM) in 1971, also held a positive attitude.

She was strong and ready to combat cancer.

"Do not give up. We have to be positive and strong-spirited, especially when we are undergoing treatment," she said.

According to Salamiah, she realised that something was wrong when she noticed a lump on her armpit. The lump started spreading and her arm become numb. She then had high fever.

"At that time, I was not sure about what was happening to me," she said, adding that she underwent a medical examination immediately after reading about possible diseases related to the symptoms.

She said the cancer treatment had caused her to vomit. She suffered hair loss while sores appeared in her mouth.

"However, I was glad to note that I was in the first stage of cancer. So, I was hopeful that I would survive," said Salamiah, 61.

She encouraged women to stay strong. According to her, there is no need to be fearful and embarrassed. It is important to get an early examination done.

She said tests like mammography were important and women should go for early examinations to fight cancer in the early stages.

"Go for an early medical check-up. If you find lumps on your body, seek medical treatment immediately," said Salamiah.

Today, Salamiah goes for regular medical examinations, at least once a year, to ensure that she is always healthy. — Bernama

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved