Selasa, 29 Januari 2013

The Star Online: Entertainment: Music


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Entertainment: Music


Guns 'n' Roses to rock F1 post-race concert

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 04:11 AM PST

IF there is one party to set your pulse racing, it is the Malaysian F1 Grand Prix 2013 post-race concert on March 24 in Sepang, Kuala Lumpur featuring legendary rock band Guns 'n' Roses.

Formed in Los Angeles in 1985, Guns 'n' Roses will topline the post-race party and make it a rocking 15th anniversary celebration for the Malaysian F1 Grand Prix.

It is also Guns 'n' Roses' first concert in Malaysia.

The Grammy award-winning Guns 'n' Roses, which has sold more than 100 million albums worldwide, is best known for rock classics like 'Welcome To The Jungle', 'Sweet Child O' Mine', 'Paradise City', 'Patience', 'Don't Cry', 'Estranged' and 'November Rain'.

The band, now led by frontman Axl Rose, 50, has kept its major hits on the current tour playlist as well as newer songs such as 'Chinese Democracy', 'Better and 'This I Love.'

As the sole original member left in the band, Axl Rose is backed up by guitarists Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal, DJ Ashba and Richard Fortus, bassist and backing vocalist Tommy Stinson, drummer Frank Ferrer and keyboardists and backing vocalists Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman.

Guns 'n' Roses was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last April.

The band has included the Malaysian stop on March 24 as regional concert exclusive after its Australian tour in March. More details soon at (sepangcircuit.com).

New year, new Yuna

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 02:42 AM PST

THERE was not much fanfare surrounding Yuna's quick return to Malaysia recently. The Los Angeles-based singer-songwriter arrived in Kuala Lumpur on Jan 18 and the very next day, she held an interview session with the media at Traders Hotel in the city.

"I'm feeling a bit jet-lagged. Tomorrow, I'll be holding a kenduri doa selamat (thanksgiving) to show appreciation for the recent Anugerah Juara Lagu 27 win for Best Song. (Singer) Aizat Amdan will be there too. Then, on Monday, I'll be flying back to the States," said Yuna.

Earlier this month, Aizat sang Yuna's song Terukir Di Bintang at the popular song contest awards in Kuala Lumpur.

Of course, as Yuna recently tweeted, she "can't be in two places at once" and she is no Mary Poppins.

But the 26-year-old hasn't forgotten about her fans here. She keeps them in the loop as much as possible.

In fact, her video updates and tweets are substantial enough to find out the mundane and exciting parts of Yuna's life. As we learn, she misses hanging out with her local bandmates and some home comforts (especially forgetting to pack some Nescafe!) for her Los Angeles pad but she is handling her hectic music career the best she can.

Stepping stone

Last year was a stepping stone phase for Yuna in the American music scene. Her self-titled debut album, released under the New York-based independent label Fader, made the rounds in the American music scene. One of her tracks on the album, Live Your Life, produced by Pharell Williams, also grabbed the hipster media headlines.

But that Fader deal was just a career taster. That contract ended late last year, and Yuna is ready for bigger things.

Yuna's successful stint in the United States continues with her signing with Verve Music Group early this month. The American jazz record label is currently headed by Grammy award-winning music producer David Foster. Some of Yuna's new labelmates include the likes of Diana Krall, Jamie Callum and Melody Gardot.

"David Foster is my new boss and he's a legend. He's someone who has worked with (the late) Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey. I feel really happy and touched to be a new member of the Verve family," she added.

Just like Hong Kong star Karen Mok (who released her English language debut album under jazz label Decca Records in London this month), Yuna is also expected to attract more international attention and acclaim with this Verve label contract.

During her recent interview in Kuala Lumpur, Yuna said she's currently hard at work on tracks for her new album under Verve in Los Angeles.

"I'm working with a lot of different producers and in the midst of writing songs. Hopefully, I'll be able to work with David Foster on some material soon."

Dream come true

At present, Yuna is working on tracks with Incubus guitarist Mike Einzieger in the LA studio.

Of course, she has Malaysian fans to thank for making that dream collaboration come true.

"It happened when I did a cover version of one of Incubus' songs, I Miss You. When Mike was in Malaysia for a concert, fans told him about it. He saw the cover and then reached out to me saying, let's work together!" she revealed.

Yuna added it's amazing to be able to work with Einzieger.

"I think it's really cool going from a fan to like being a friend of Mike's. It's the same kind of feeling I get from working with (music producer/Hujan guitarist) AG Coco. I knew him as part of the band Hujan. It's awesome to be a part of a creative collaboration with people I look up to."

Yuna hinted that her new album will feature unique (Asian) musical arrangements.

"I'm taking a different approach to the musical arrangements in my next album. There will be elements of traditional Malay instruments like the gambus. For example, for this song called I Wanna Go, I put a lot of percussive kompang-inspired beats to it. I also want to try incorporating the sound of the sitar in other songs."

Besides her upcoming album, fans can also anticipate the release of a new single and music video under Samsung's Galaxy Wonderland project. The project invites Malaysians to contribute ideas and illustrations that will inspire Yuna's next single. The creative collaboration will see Yuna teaming up with music video director Quek Shio Chuan (who previously directed her award-winning video Sparkle) and long-time collaborator AG Coco.

"I get inspired by the entries that were sent in and I want it to be a song about home."

Yuna explained that despite spending most of her time abroad for work, she will always be a Malaysian girl at heart.

Being true to oneself

"When I'm overseas, that is when I'm more in touch with myself as a Malaysian. I see the world as a Malaysian, and I always think, 'Oh, we don't normally do that. In Malaysia, we eat that instead'. I think about what I feel about home when I'm away. The song that I'm writing (for the Samsung GALAXY Wonderland Project) is going to be about missing home and being true to yourself. It's telling people that no matter where you go, you'll remember who you are and never forget your roots."

Yuna added the new single and video for the Samsung Galaxy Wonderland Project will be ready in February.

She also assured fans that her next album under Verve Music Group will be available before her next trip home.

"Hopefully, (the album will be out) in June or July. AG and me will be releasing a Malay single here. I'm working hard now so that I can come back home for Hari Raya."

Starting Fresh

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 01:27 AM PST

Dia Leif Frampton or known simply as Dia, first made her foray into the music industry when she formed the band Meg and Dia with her sister, Meg Frampton.

The inevitable question she often gets asked is, if she is in any way related to the singer Peter Frampton, to which her answer is a resounding, no.

The 25-year-old lass from Draper, Utah, was in Malaysia as part of her Asian tour to promote her first solo album Red, released after she became runner-up in the inaugural season of the American reality talent show The Voice.

At a press conference, Dia spoke about fighting her way to becoming a recognised singer and offered advice to aspiring musicians.

"I think Twitter, Facebook and YouTube are such great social media networks that are available to people. I think that's partly the reason why I'm here; I'm able to tweet and tell people where I'm performing, but it's also a bad thing because a lot of people get stuck posting video clips in Facebook and YouTube when the most important thing is performing in front of an audience. Go play at your local bar, go play at your cousin's birthday party, sing in front of an audience, practice being nervous, I think that's really important."

Dia had the most humblest of beginnings in her journey to becoming a singer. "I started in a very unglamorous way. At the age of nine and 10 I was playing almost every month at any old folks' home. I'd go during lunch time and I would sing for 30 minutes and I always sang older songs because they were people in their 60s and 70s. And then I'd sing in rodeos and county fairs where there would be 60 people watching. I was about 17 when I went on my first real tour. We slept in parking lots and on park benches."

Cocoon, an album by her band Meg and Dia, proved to be the catalyst for her participation in The Voice. She admits her sole objective for taking part in the reality show was to promote the album. However, Cocoon received a lukewarm response in comparison with her solo album Red, which she released after her performance in The Voice.

Although Meg and Dia have been singing since they were kids, Meg has decided to break away to concentrate on her online jewellery company but the two remain close. "I saw her for Christmas and Thanksgiving. I invited her to join me on this tour but she had college classes."

Being on her own and traveling has given Dia the opportunity to find herself. "I've always been in (Meg's) shadows, not in a sad way because I do look up to her a lot. She's been such an influence in my life. But now that she's not with me I have to rely on myself and it has forced me to become more solid in my convictions."

She says that taking part in The Voice has allowed her to work with producers, songwriters and singers she has looked up to for many years. Working with her coach, country super star Blake Shelton was a thrill she says, crediting him for her getting this far.

What does the future hold for Dia Fampton? An album for sure. "I'm taking things day by day," she says. "There are so many things going on at the same time and there are so many things I want to do. The only thing I can do every day is wake up and try to figure out what I can do to make that day the most beneficial. How do I get the most of time for that day."

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved