Sabtu, 22 Disember 2012

The Star Online: Sports


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Sports


Nicol David plans to emulate veteran McKay

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 06:48 PM PST

GRAND CAYMAN, Cayman Islands: Nicol David, the most successful squash player of the professional era, plans to continue competing till the end of the decade irrespective of whether squash is accepted into the Olympics.

David's carefully crafted 11-6, 11-8, 11-6 win over England's Laura Massaro, which on Friday, extended her record of World Open titles to seven, revealed how she is evolving as a player with extremely long term ambitions.

The 29-year-old's movement was as light and flexible as ever, and was allied to reassuring steadiness of temperament as Massaro threatened to get a grip of the second game.

Afterwards David was clear in her mind about the direction in which she is going.

"I have to keep my body in shape. I might go on another seven years anyway but the Olympics would add meaning to it," she said.

"I am working to keep going another five to seven years anyway, but the Olympics would be great."

If she succeeds, which looks quite possible, David would be almost 37 - close to the age at which Heather McKay, the legendary Australian, retired after winning the first two of the fledgling World Open championships in 1979.

David is acutely aware that the physiology and sports science of an ageing body requires specific knowledge and sensitive planning and she may talk about this to the record-breaking 16 times British Open champion.

"I spoke with Heather McKay twice, at the Australian Open, and I was humbled to meet her," said David.

"I hope I have a chance to speak with her again next time I am in Australia. And with other Australian players.

"I also hope to talk more with players in England, like Fiona Geaves and Suzanne Horner, who have been playing past the age of 35. I am hoping to keep going like that too."

Though David has hinted at all this before, the firmness of her utterances now reflect how she is becoming her own person, clearer about the importance of squash to her long-term destiny.

This growing independence is also suggested by the fact that this will be the first Christmas spent at her adopted home in Amsterdam rather than at her origins at Penang, in Malaysia.

"I am growing older. It's partly about having time with my friends. I am growing as a person," David said.

"Of course Penang is my home. But in the last nine-and-a-half years I have been living in Amsterdam and now have a group of people I am close to and have a good time with. I have had my own apartment (in Amsterdam) for a year."

This change reflects other changes - in her self-image, self-knowledge, and capacity for stability under the constant pressure of expectations.

These have developed markedly in the last two or three years, something for which she gives much credit to Frank Cabooter, a sports psychologist at the University of Amsterdam.

"It's been a learning experience, and I am still working on it. There are so many things you can't describe (that go through your mind). There are many questions you have to answer for yourself, rather than being told what to do you have to deal with it yourself," David said.

This is reflected in her off-court promotional presentations, as well as training choices, and tactical decisions on court.

Her state of mind in Grand Cayman was more upbeat than for a while, and her patient tactical choices, especially as Massaro threatened to get back into the final, were vital to her seventh world title in eight years.

Vital too are squash's Olympic hopes, to be decided by the IOC in Buenos Aires in September next year.

David will remain active in the sport's public voice and its private lobbying until then.

"We are wait to hear what comes up from our last presentation," she said. "I have to contact the World Squash Federation to see what they want me to do. I will do as much as I can. I want to make sure we keep the momentum going.

"If squash gets into the Olympics it will be wonderful. It will also make me more eager, and give more meaning to my wish to play for many more years." -AFP

Nicol proves she’s still the queen of squash

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 04:59 PM PST

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia's Nicol David proved to the world that she's still the queen of squash.

The world No. 1 produced a dominant display to beat Laura Massaro for her record seventh world title in the Women's World Open at the Cayman Islands on Friday.

A day after demolishing England's Jenny Duncalf in the semi-finals, Nicol once again stepped it up to power past Massaro, also of England, 11-6, 11-8, 11-6 in just 44 minutes.

The final at Grand Cayman was her fifth on the trot and the 29-year-old Penangite has now won seven world titles in the last eight years.

But credit world No. 3 Massaro – Nicol's sixth opponent in the world meet final after Rachael Grinham (2005), Natalie Grinham (2006, 2009), Vicky Botwright (2008), Omneya Abdel Kawy (2010) and Duncalf (2011) – who didn't play badly at all.

The 29-year-old Massaro showed glimpses of the brilliance that saw her beat Nicol twice last year.

But Nicol deservingly lived up to her nickname – the 'Duracell Bunny' – as she repelled almost everything that Massaro threw at her.

Nicol also came up tops when it mattered most – winning crucial rallies, including four straight points to win the second set 11-8.

That took the fight out of Massaro as Nicol raced to a 5-0 lead in the third set, before wrapping up the match by putting away a loose ball beyond the Englishwoman's reach.

Despite the 3-0 scoreline, the match was far from a walk in the park. Only Nicol's sheer determination and tenacity made it look incredibly one-sided.

And the Penangite, who let out a rare scream of delight after the final point, was rightly a little lost for words after an amazing performance.

"I can't believe it. I just can't believe it. I'm so pleased with my game because Laura was playing ever so well and she pushed me for every point," said Nicol.

"I'm always so focused in Caymans and, with this being the world meet, I just wanted to step up and give it one last push.

"I really wanted to win again in Caymans and that seventh world title. I wanted it all!

"But I also have to thank my team here, in Amsterdam and Malaysia who have been with me all the way. Also not to forget my friends and family back home and the tremendous Malaysian support here in Caymans. It's been a great week."

It has indeed been a great year for Nicol who, apart from a rare September blip when she suffered back-to-back losses in the Malaysian Open and Carol Weymuller Open, has now won eight out of 10 tournaments.

With Nicol going great guns, it's quite impossible to see anyone breaking her stranglehold any time soon.

But with several younger players showing their potential, including national No. 2 Low Wee Wern – who did well to play through injury to make the quarter-finals – next year will be an interesting one for women's squash.

With squash quite possibly on the verge of being included in the Olympics when the International Olympic Council (IOC) meet in Buenos Aires next year, Nicol will surely be hungrier than ever.

Min Jie eyes upset win in British Junior Open

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 04:56 PM PST

PETALING JAYA: National junior squash player Teh Min Jie (pic) has been struggling for consistency this year and hopes that competing in the prestigious British Junior Open at Sheffield from Jan 2-6 will represent a fresh start.

The pint-sized Min Jie is one of a few promising juniors in the Bukit Jalil Sports School set-up, having made the final of the National Junior Championships last year.

Despite reaching the semi-finals of the Milo All Star and winning the Penang Junior Open Under-17 category earlier this year, Min Jie was overlooked for the Asian Juniors at Kish Island, Iran, back in June.

She, however, competed in the Hong Kong Junior Open in August, but was far from her usual best, losing to compatriot Rachel Arnold in the quarter-finals.

She also did miserably at the KL Inter­national Junior Open last week, winning only one match – against Singapore's Sherilyn Yang – to finish second last in the Under-19 category.

But the 16-year-old, who admitted to being frustrated with her game so far, is looking forward to a postive result at the British Junior Open.

"My performance this year has been largely below average. It was not bad initially but results started going against me and my game went down too," said Min Jie.

"My biggest problem is consistency ... it's been quite a frustrating period for me, especially after the Hong Kong Junior Open.

"I also rarely got the opportunity to compete overseas due to my form but I want to make full use of the opportunity to compete in the British Junior Open for the first time.

"It won't be easy, however, as I've never been to England before and it's cold. My draw is tough as I have second seed Salma Hani in my half. But I'll try to pull off an upset win."

Min Jie faces Lowri Roberts in the first round of the Under-17 category and a win should see her taking on local lass Kip Quiney in the second round, with Hani awaiting after that.

Besides Min Jie, the other Malaysian girls who will compete in Sheffield are Rachel Arnold (Under-17); Zoe Foo and S. Sivasangari (Under-15); and Nur Aliah Anis and Aifa Azman (Under-13).

The boys will be led by Asian Junior champion Ng Eain Yow and Jesse Foo (Under-15); Mohd Syafiq Kamal, Darren Chan, Al Nikc Ally and Bryan Lim (Under-17); and Sanjay Singh Chal and Gurshan Singh (Under-19).

Hong Kong Under-15 champion Mohd Farez Izwan will sit out the Sheffield tournament after fracturing his right wrist last month.

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved