Rabu, 5 Disember 2012

The Star Online: Entertainment: Music


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Entertainment: Music


Korea's Youn Seok is in love with Malaysia

Posted: 05 Dec 2012 01:24 AM PST

He may not understand a word of Malay or have any inkling what goes into the making of our local foods, Korean K-pop star Youn Seok confessed he is in love with Malaysian food and Malay songs.

The 32-year-old celebrity, in town recently for the third time in four years, was promoting his latest album, The Birth – 5. His favourite Malaysian foods? Roti Canai, Nasi Lema  and sambal. And his favourite song is Kau Ilhamku by Man Bai.

"I'm definitely going to record the song because the melody is simply too beautiful to ignore. In fact I can hum the tune and sing the melody now," said Youn Seok who has picked up a few Malay words and plans to record a few Malay songs in his new album.

He said the three weeks he spent in the country was a great experience and says he felt at home here. "I love how warm the people here are. My fans here have been so welcoming, friendly and supportive. I often get a dozens of annyeong haseyo (hello) and saranghaeyo (I love you) where ever I go and even from men too. I hope to impress the Malaysians further," he said.

He adds, "The spicy food here is simply irresistible especially the chilies and the after taste. In fact, the spicier the food, the better it is. The food reminds me of Korean food in a way. There are quite similar in certain ways," said the singer who is also a popular composer and an actor.

His visit here was rather timely with the Korean craze for K-pop, Korean dramas, and of course the famous Gangnam Style, not to mention the hot Korean fashion many youngsters are into. The impact has been phenomenal and has made all of Korea proud, he said of the craze.

Of the Korean popularity, he said: "It's just very unique and fun and has something for everyone. Everyone will fancy a certain K-pop star, Korean fashion style, and certain Korean drama actors. Though I know this is just a phase, I think it's been a great development not just for the Korean economy but also for Korean talents. Our culture will be recognized globally.

"As Koreans, we feel very lucky to be given the chance to bring so much joy to people around the world. I believe that nothing lasts forever but I'm confident this Korean wave will run on strong for the next few decades. Just like any other trend, there will be a different music genre or different dance but the K-pop craze will never be forgotten," said Youn Seok who is the younger of two siblings.

As for Gangnam Style, popularized by Korean pop star Psy or Park Jae-Sang, Youn Seok shares the success with much pride. "Gangnam Style has been amazing and I'm so proud of its success. Firstly, the song and dance moves appeals to everyone of all ages and races and it puts people in a happy mood. Secondly, Psy has not just done the Koreans proud but also introduced what an Asian man is capable of. This is why I always feel that music is the best language to unite the world," said Youn Seok who is better known as a rock ballad singer back home.

According to him, rock ballads will never go out of style. "I don't think rock ballad is a seasonal genre. Singers like me might have to look into getting a new image or new sounds and new technology or instruments," explained the still single Youn Seok.

Ironically, before he plunged into show business, Youn Seok never gave any thoughts to becoming a singer. He aspired to be a composer but a chance meeting with veteran director Seo Se-Wan who visited the Northern Illinois University, where he studied vocal training changed his career path. It was Seo Se-Wan who Youn Seok said set him on the path of becoming the singer he is today. In 1994, Youn Seok decided to cast aside his degree course to instead cut his debut album, The Birth – 1.

Like most androgynous-looking Korean male celebrities, Youn Seok said he acquired a certain style too. "I know what people say about Korean male celebrities. But I'm normally dressed more GQ and smart when I'm working but outside the office, I dress differently. I prefer to dress for comfortably. I like being in casual t-shirt, jeans, beanie or sneakers. It works best for me," he said.

This soft-spoken singer, who has an amazing vocal range, said he has enjoys a rather a good rapport with his fans and the media. "The media have always projected me as a cool quiet character. When I'm not rushing because of work, I'm actually a rather talkative and playful person. But I have to admit that I probably feel more relaxed with the media when I'm out of Korea because I feel more at ease. However, I do have some close friends from the media and we often go out for casual dinner or drinks back home," he said.

As for fans, he interacts mainly on Facebook. Since he launched his Facebook fan page less than three months ago, almost 34,000 fans have signed up and the number grows by the minute. "I try to keep in touch with my fans. I try to get to know each one. I need their constant encouragement to keep me motivated with my work. Every time I read their comments about my songs, I'm reminded of their expectations and I just want to do better," said the singer who is working on materials for his new album which he explains will be interesting and fresh.

The album will include some cover version songs from Malaysia and other parts of South East Asia. "The songs will be from this side of the world. It would be what I've wanted to do all this while but never got a chance to do it. It will be something new and exciting," said Youn Seok who has been making waves in both Malaysia and Indonesia.

Christmas cheer with Rod Stewart

Posted: 05 Dec 2012 12:15 AM PST

If you've been out of the house lately you would have noticed that Christmas is just around the corner. Shopping malls are fully decorated for shutterbugs alike and shoppers can't get enough of the decorations and the abundance of candy in particularly every corner of the mall.

Playing in the background are Christmas carols from notable singes like Nat King Cole, Michael Buble and even Mickey Mouse. If you've caught yourself humming or sing along, you won't the the only one doing it this season.

Joining the array of singers with Christmas albums in the market, is Grammy Award-winning, two-time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Rod Stewart with his very first Christmas album, Merry Christmas, Baby.

The album, produced and arranged by David Foster, is filled with traditional Christmas songs which the raspy-voiced Stewart sings with guests that includes Michael Buble (Winter Wonderland), Mary J. Blige (We Three Kings) and Cee-Lo Green (Merry Christmas, Baby).

"I've always been tempted to do a Christmas album," says Stewart. "And now that I once again have young children, the timing couldn't be better. Additionally, Merry Christmas, Baby gave me a chance to reunite with David Foster."

Of the team-up, Foster says: "I'm thrilled that this is the first project for both of us on Verve Music Group."

Also in the market is Katherine Jenkins' My Christmas. The multi-award winning Welsh soprano released her Christmas album shortly after turning 30.

My Christmas consists of 12 tracks that would give you a different feel of Christmas this year. Some of the songs include Panis Angelicus, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, The Prayer and Ave Maria.

Both Merry Christmas, Baby and My Christmas are distributed by Universal Music and are currently on sale at all major record shops.

'The Message' deemed Greatest Hip Hop song ever

Posted: 04 Dec 2012 11:21 PM PST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The 1982 hit The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five was named the greatest hip hop song of all time on Wednesday, in the first such list by Rolling Stone magazine to celebrate the young but influential music genre.

The Message, which tops a list of 50 influential hip hop songs, was the first track "to tell, with hip hop's rhythmic and vocal force, the truth about modern inner-city life in America," Rolling Stone said.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, a hip hop collective from the south Bronx in New York, was formed in 1978 and became one of the pioneers of the hip hop genre.

The full list spanned songs ranging from Sugarhill Gang's 1979 hit Rapper's Delight, which came in at No. 2, to Kanye West's 2004 hit Jesus Walks, which landed at No. 32.

"It's a list that would have been a lot harder to do ten or 15 years ago because hip hop is so young," Nathan Brackett, deputy managing editor of Rolling Stone, told Reuters.

"We've reached the point now where hip hop acts are getting into the (Rock and Roll) Hall Of Fame... it just felt like the right time to give this the real Rolling Stone treatment."

Rolling Stone's top 10 featured mostly hip hop veterans, such as Run-D.M.C.'s 1983 track Sucker M.C.'s, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg's 1992 hit Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang, Public Enemy's 1990 song Fight The Power and Notorious B.I.G's 1994 hit Juicy.

Other influential artists in the top 50 songs included Beastie Boys, who came in at No. 19 with Paul Revere, and recordings by Jay-Z, Eminem, Missy Elliot, Outkast, Lauryn Hill, LL Cool J, Nas and the late rapper 2Pac.

The list of 50 songs was compiled by a 33-panel of members comprising Rolling Stone editors and hip hop experts. They included musician Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson of The Roots, who Brackett described as "an incredible encyclopedia" of both old and new hip hop knowledge.

Brackett noted that some songs considered to be one-hit wonders, such as Audio Two's 1988 hit Top Billin," made the final selection.

"The references in those songs become the building blocks of all these other songs down the road ... they become touchstones, really part of the meat of hip hop songs going forward," Brackett said.

The full list will be released online at RollingStone.com and in the pop culture magazine on newsstands on 7 December. The issue will feature four different covers of Eminem, Jay-Z, Notorious B.I.G. and 2Pac.

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved