Jumaat, 7 September 2012

The Star Online: Sports


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Sports


Shin maintains LPGA lead

Posted: 07 Sep 2012 06:38 PM PDT

WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia: South Korea's Jiyai Shin followed up a tournament-record 62 with a 68 on Friday for a one-shot lead in the US LPGA Tour Kingsmill Championship.

Shin was among the players who completed her first round on Thursday despite a lengthy rain delay.

Her sizzling first-round effort held up, but Shin, a former world number one who won the last of her eight LPGA titles in November of 2010, admitted she was watching the scoreboard.

"I have to know my position, and I keep changing my plan each hole after I check the positions," said Shin, who had four birdies and a bogey en route to a 36-hole total of 12-under 130 on the Kingsmill River Course.

"I saw a lot of players play good today, so I think it will make for fun competition the next two days," added Shin, who was delighted to find herself in the title hunt going into the weekend.

"I'm used to the competition, I'm used to the pressure and nerves, too, and also I really like that feeling," she said.

"So I can't wait for the play for the weekend."

Shin birdied the par-five third and picked up another shot at the par-five seventh.

She followed up with birdies at 10 and 12, but she settled for par at the par-five 15th and gave back a shot with a bogey at 16.

"The greens were a little bit slower, so I missed a few chances with my putting," she said.

"I still feel good so I just look forward to the weekend."

Kang, winner of the US Women's Amateur in 2010 and 2011, missed the cut in her last two tournaments.

"I started off the day thinking just take it shot by shot. I've been approaching shots differently this whole week," Kang said.

"I just am trying to see what works, and my brother taught me how to putt."

Dewi Claire Schreefel of the Netherlands and Paula Creamer were tied at 10-under 132. Schreefel carded a 66 and Creamer a 67.

Schreefel was among the 33 players who had to complete the first round on Friday morning.

With just two holes to play se was promptly penalized for a rules infraction at the first, but kept her poise to stay in the hunt for the weekend.

Michelle Wie was among those missing the cut, following up a first-round 75 with a 71. The one-time prodigy has missed nine cuts this season and posted just one top-10 finish. - AFP

Storm takes halfway lead at KLM Open

Posted: 07 Sep 2012 06:26 PM PDT

HILVERSUM, Netherlands: Graeme Storm took a three-shot lead at the halfway stage of the European Tour's KLM Open at Hilversum on Friday, following up his opening round of 63 with a 66.

The Englishman ended the day at 11 under, three clear of Scott Jamieson, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano and Peter Hanson.

Hanson was one of three European Ryder Cup players in the field and in contention. Nicolas Colsaerts shot 65 to reach five under, while Martin Kaymer - the winner here in 2010 - is a shot further back.

Although he is eager to secure a second European Tour title, Storm admits his primary focus remains securing a top-115 finish in The Race to Dubai after a disappointing season so far.

He currently lies 114th, with the closing stages of the season fast approaching.

"It is a big struggle missing so many cuts," he said of his poor run of form.

"I played nicely last week (en route to a share of 41st place in the European Masters) and I was hoping to bring it here. At the moment I am and I just hope it continues.

"It makes a change to have all red on my card. Hopefully I used all the bogeys up last week in Crans.

"The goal for me still is to keep my card, even though I am leading. If someone comes through then so be it, I just need my card for next year."

Together with Belgium's Colsaerts, Spain's Fernandez-Castano was the pick of the morning starters, carding four birdies and an eagle either side of a solitary dropped shot.

"I think I could have hit the ball better but my scoring was very good thanks to my short game," he said.

"Overall I am very happy with eight under after two rounds. This is one of my favourite courses of the year. It gets the best out of my game."

Swede Hanson made solid progress in a second successive 66, mixing 15 pars with two birdies and an eagle at the par-five 12th.

Jamieson, who started at the tenth, roared into contention after picking up six shots in the first 10 holes of his round, but lost his outright hold on second with a bogey at the sixth.

Pablo Larrazabal of Spain and India's Shiv Kapur shared fifth, two behind the second placed trio, while Ireland's Simon Thornton finished with an eagle to match Jamieson's 64 and move into the group at five under. - AFP

US golfer shot after ball smashes window

Posted: 07 Sep 2012 06:18 PM PDT

RENO, Nevada: A Nevada golfer was shot and wounded after his stray ball struck a home, smashing a window and angering the resident inside.

Police arrested a man in connection with the shooting which allegedly took place on the 16th hole of the Reno area golf club.

Jeff Fleming, 53, is charged with battery and assault with a deadly weapon in the incident at the Lakeridge Golf course.

Police said a man exited his home on Thursday after one of his windows was broken and approached two golfers with a shotgun before the alleged shooting took place.

The other was not injured.

The injured golfer was treated and released from hospital.

Law enforcement officials also evacuated the golf course after the shooting.

Fleming, who turned himself in, was released on bail. A entrenched gun culture and lax firearm laws have contributed to a series of mass shootings in America over the past few years.

A Bill Clinton-era federal ban on assault weapons was also allowed to expire in 2004.

On July 20, 12 people were killed and 58 injured when a gunman opened fire at a Colorado movie theatre during a midnight showing of the latest Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises".

In 2004, there were 29,500 people killed by guns in the United States of which 40 percent (11,600) were homicides.

About 150 people are killed on average annually by handguns in Canada and less then 40 in Japan. - AFP

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved