Khamis, 5 September 2013

The Star Online: Nation


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Star Online: Nation


Busted – ring that stole funds online

Posted:

KUALA LUMPUR: A syndicate has raked in more than RM100,000 by using a new modus operandi to hijack its victims' mobile phone SIM cards.

The syndicate uses a software to hack a victim's online bank account and gain access to important financial information.

They would gather the victim's personal details such as MyKad number and then report that the SIM card has been stolen.

The syndicate members would then take receipt of the new SIM card and get the Transaction Authorisation Code (TAC) required for the online transaction before transferring the victim's money to an account belonging to another syndicate member.

Federal Commercial Crimes Investigation Department director Comm Datuk Syed Ismail Syed Azizan said this was uncovered when a 35-year-old administration officer reported the loss of RM5,000 on Aug 5.

"The victim revealed that his SIM card was not working for two days prior to the discovery of the theft.

"We believe this was when the suspects hijacked his SIM card," he told a press conference in Bukit Perdana here yesterday.

He said police investigated the case for about a month before finally tracking down a 28-year-old African man who was the mastermind of the syndicate on Tuesday in Bandar Sunway, Selangor.

"We also detained a man and a woman, both Malaysians, who were his accomplices.

"We believe the syndicate is responsible for 10 such cases resulting in RM100,200 worth of losses to the victims," he said, adding that the African man was out on bail for an Internet scam offence in 2011.

In another case, Comm Syed Ismail revealed that police had busted two syndicates preying on companies dealing with the export of consumer goods.

"The syndicates will intercept e-mail correspondences between a Malaysian firm and a foreign company before hacking the e-mail account belonging to the local firm.

"They would then deal with the foreign company by giving the syndicate's account number. After that, they would just wait and receive the money," he said.

He said eight African men had been detained in connection with the case and their syndicates operated in Damansara, Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur.

Selangor bans all works near rivers

Posted:

SHAH ALAM: The Selangor government has ordered local councils in the state not to approve development projects near river tributaries.

Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim said that the prohibition, effective immediately, would give enforcement officers time to inspect factories that were currently operating near the riverside.

"Enforcement must be increased to ensure another water contamination issue does not take place," Khalid told a press conference after chairing the weekly executive council meeting yesterday.

"All relevant parties in the state government will continue to inspect the situation from time to time to ensure that rivers do not get contaminated,"said Khalid.

The move to freeze projects near river tributaries comes after an oil spillage in Sungai Selangor last week which disrupted water supply to several areas in the Klang Valley.

Water concessionaires worked around the clock to clean up the river after four water treatment plants – Sungai Selangor Phase 1,2,3 and Rantau Panjang were shut down.

Khalid urged the National Resources and Environment Ministry to enforce a law under the Environment Quality Act 1974,to make culprits responsible for river contamination pay for the damage caused and the cost for the required clean-up.

The Star had also reported recently about the vulnerability of rivers and the measures that must be taken to prevent their contamination.

State executive councillor in charge of environment Elizabeth Wong said that the company, which caused the oil spillage, did not have the necessary approval to operate a factory.

"I do not have the exact details with me now but the license the owner has does not allow him to run a factory," she said.

On the long standing water restructuring issue between the state and federal governments, Khalid said that he was still waiting for the Energy, Green Technology and Water Ministry to revert to him for a final meeting.

"There have been numerous meetings at various levels. I am waiting for the ministry to get back to me for a final meeting between the minister and the Mentri Besar," he said.

Preliminary findings unable to pinpoint cause of bus crash

Posted:

KUALA LUMPUR: A preliminary probe by a government committee investigating the Genting Highlands bus tragedy on Aug 21 has not been able to pinpoint the actual cause of the accident.

Acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said the committee was not able to determine whether the accident was due to the driver's fault, the bus structure itself, road conditions, the gradient, brakes or tyres.

The report of the probe has been presented to a Special Committee set up to investigate the crash by the Road Safety Department.

The worst-ever road disaster in the country claimed 37 lives and left 16 others injured.

The parties in­­volved also showed a simulation of the accident at the meeting of the Special Committee set up to investigate the crash.

"Representatives of the Special Committee had met the management of Genting Berhad to discuss measures to improve road safety which touched on various aspects including bus operators," he said.

He was speaking to reporters about the progress on the probe after he chaired a post-Cabinet meeting at the Defence Ministry here.

Hishammuddin said the discussions were held as the route to Genting Highlands was a private road under the management of Genting.

He said the Cabinet had also agreed to take proactive measures to raise the safety level at accident-prone areas throughout the country, in particular Genting Highlands and Simpang Pulai in Perak.

Kredit: www.thestar.com.my

1 ulasan:

Arnold Brame on 20 September 2013 10:34 PTG berkata...

I'm not surprised to know that the worst road disaster in the country claimed 37 lives. I have seen many in United States. According to Health And Safety Training Peterborough the major reason behind accidents is the lack of focus and over confidence in the people.

Catat Ulasan

 

The Star Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved